Thank you for thinking of us!
Gladrags’ collection of theatrical and historical costumes has grown over the past 25 years by receiving kind donations from many sources and we are extremely grateful for the impact we are able to make as a charity because of these contributions.
So that we don’t run out of room at our store, and because we are passionate about sharing resources, we sometimes make a decision to pass on costumes / fabrics to community groups who, for example, need to have their own costume box. We also sell items to raise funds for our community projects, for example surplus stock or clothes that have a second-hand value.
If you feel that you would not want this to happen to your donations, then please reconsider whether Gladrags is the right place for them and see our recommendations below of other places to give to at the end of this page.
COSTUME RE-HOMING SCHEME: If you are a community group or good cause that would like more information about our ‘costume re-homing’ scheme, please email us by using the contact form.
OFFERING DONATIONS TO GLADRAGS
We accept donations of useful items (see below).
- Please email or call ahead to confirm what you have to offer and arrange a suitable drop-off time. We’re open by appointment only, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays 10am to 6pm. Items can also be posted to us.
- We might also ask you to send us photos of what you are offering us.
- Sift your donations to ensure what you offer us is relevant (see below).Generally speaking a few well chosen gems are more useful to us than a large bag of mixed donations. Due to space limits in our store, max two bin bags ideally.
- Please make sure everything is in a securely zipped / tied bag, to be placed in the Donations Box when you arrive.
- Our reception area at Gladrags is like our ‘shop floor’, so you will need to enter wearing a mask, unless you are exempt. If this is a problem and it isn’t raining you can drop costumes outside whilst we are there.
Link to contact form here.
What we can accept (storage permitting)
- Vintage in good condition
- Bridal occasionally
- Useful theatrical and/or historical style costumes e.g. Sherlock Holmes cape, Medieval dress tunic, military jacket.
- Theatre or Panto costumes from previous productions
- Authentic world dress, traditional or modern
- Animal costumes (and sometimes food-based costumes e.g. banana)
- Small items suitable for reminiscence - e.g. old tickets, programmes, childhood memorabilia
- Matching / sets of costumes or accessories - occasionally
- Small props occasionally, especially if suitable for reminiscence or teaching resources
- Fabric pieces e.g. uncut remnants 1m and over
What we can't accept -
- Large Props - e.g. bric-a-brac or any large items like furniture
- Fancy Dress- e.g. all-in-one replica / character / novelty costumes in shiny / nylon fabrics e.g. evacuee, Jack Sparrow; non-durable novelty accessories e.g. made of card / flimsy plastic, or 'sexy costumes' e.g. ‘sexy’ firefighter.
- Real animal fur
- Modern denim, t-shirts, hoodies, woolies, stretchy clothes and trainers
- Damaged or stained clothing / items
We have generally have plenty of the following -
Hats, belts, shoes, ties, gloves, modern style clothing, and fabric scraps.
Some alternative places to donate to ensure your items are used and otherwise are responsibly recycled -
- Clean, non hazardous scrap (big list of items on link) that can be reused for art, craft, play and DIY The Scrap Space, Shoreham.
- Fancy dress - a local nursery or playgroup or charity shop
- Modern clothing - local charity shop
- Men’s clothing, bedding, sleeping bags - a homeless charity such as Lewes Open Door or a refugees charity such as Choose Love
- General textiles & clothing, (also rag/damaged textiles) - to Brighton & Hove's Council local charity clothing recycling blue bins > see map here
- Larger items, bric-a-brac and unusual clothing- Shabitat Recycling Co-op, Lewes Rd, Brighton
- Underwear- Smalls for All
- Children’s clothing, equipment toys etc 0-10 years Pelican Parcels, Brighton or Super Looper, Brighton
- School uniform - Smarter Uniforms, Brighton.
Let us know if there is anywhere you know of, that re-uses, and recycles and we can update our list.
You can find our eBay shop here Gladrags1994 >
Follow us on social media to find out about our sale events, costume re-homing and other initiatives >
Facebook @gladragscostumesstore Instagram @gladragscostumes_store